News, Views and Information about NRIs.

A NRI Sabha of Canada's trusted source of News & Views for NRIs around the World.



July 3, 2011

NRI husband booked for demanding dowry


Depression had claimed life of victim’s father
Ludhiana, July 3
An Assistant Sub-Inspector (ASI) died of a cardiac arrest after failing to provide relief to his daughter, who was deserted by her NRI husband a day after her marriage. The police has now swooped into action and booked the UK-based NRI, Ranjit Singh, for fraud and thrashing the woman for dowry.

Gurmail Singh, who was posted as an ASI in traffic police, died on Thursday following a cardiac arrest. He was under depression after Ranjit Singh deserted his daughter Amanpreet Kaur and fled to England.
According to Amanpreet, the marriage was solemnised on April 29. “But the next day I was thrown out of the house. My ornaments were also kept by my in-laws. Few days later my husband fled to England and asked me to arrange Rs 50 lakh. He told me that only after arranging the dowry amount he would take me to England,” said Amanpreet.
The police yesterday booked Ranjit Singh, his parents Gurcharan Singh and Manjit Kaur under Sections 420, 498, 406 of the IPC for fraud and thrashing a married woman for dowry. The trio is on the run, while the police has arrested Vijay Kumar, a relative of the accused.

No comments:

Post a Comment