News, Views and Information about NRIs.

A NRI Sabha of Canada's trusted source of News & Views for NRIs around the World.



January 8, 2012

Running gave me a second life: Fauja Singh


Marathon legend Fauja Singh runs with participants at Panchkula on Sunday.
Marathon legend Fauja Singh runs with participant
 at Panchkula on Sunday. 
Panchkula, January 8
“Running has given me a second life,” said 100-year-old Fauja Singh, a veteran athlete, for whom athleticism is the only thing he knows, loves and prays. Here to flag off the 2nd Panchkula running and living marathon, including a cross-country half marathon (21.097 km), cross-country (10 km) and cross-country (5 km), the athlete was seen promoting sports among the youth.
“I was a zamindar before shifting my interest in athletics. All a person needs is to work hard and sincerely; diet and kits are exceptional things,” said Fauja Singh.
Adding further, “I have been to many places, including Lahore, during my early days. Even in England, people run not only for fun but to overcome their problems. Everyone should get themselves engaged in one activity or the other,” said Singh.
Fauja Singh was also seen narrating his experiences to the people surrounding him. Fauja further added, “My speed has gone slow due to my growing age. I am not facing any physical illness and all I want to see is young blood of the country fit.”
On the other hand, the athlete also feels a special attraction towards the City Beautiful. “I have been to many places, including abroad, the people here are as good as the city. I hope to see a big event been organised here,” said Fauja.
Earlier the veteran athlete completed a small round with the participants. A total of 150 participants participated in the run. The cross-country run started from a hotel in Panchkula and passed through trails along the Ghaggar.
“It was a great fun to participate in the run, however, the overall patch was not good, but somehow I managed to complete. My favourite patch for running is the area adjoining the Sukhna Lake,” said Stephen from South Africa, who is currently residing in Chandigarh.
Awards comprising T-shirts, water bottles, belts and other running gears were given to the first three finishers in each of the runs as well as to the first veteran finisher and first woman finisher.

No comments:

Post a Comment