News, Views and Information about NRIs.

A NRI Sabha of Canada's trusted source of News & Views for NRIs around the World.



January 4, 2012

UT gets serious about Sukhna


Tells Punjab, Haryana to ban high-rises in catchment area

Chandigarh, January 4
The UT Administration has asked the governments of Punjab and Haryana to stop construction of high-rise buildings in the Sukhna catchment area. In a letter forwarded to both the states, the Administration has also raised the points of the Punjab and Haryana High Court order which has banned construction in the catchment area. The Tribune was the first to highlight the issue of construction activity in the catchment area.
A senior official of the Administration said construction activity was going on in the Kansal area where people had constructed five or six floor residential buildings, which would be harmful for Sukhna Lake. He further said the authorities concerned were not checking the construction activity.
The High Court had already constituted a committee for the demarcation of the catchment area near the lake. The committee had been constituted to ensure that there was no illegal construction in the catchment area and had been asked to submit a report on February 13.
Acting on a petition filed in public interest to save the lake, a Division Bench of the High Court had on March 14, 2011, banned construction of any kind in the catchment area falling in Haryana and Punjab.
Building projects, particularly societies, are a major concern in the area, especially the changed tracts of the rivulets feeding the lake. Constructions have blocked the natural path of these rivulets, which pose a threat to fields and even buildings next to the original tract.
The issue of haphazard constructions in the areas falling in Punjab and Haryana and adjoining Sukhna has assumed bigger significance with big realtors coming up with mega residential projects.
‘Casual’ Admn
When the Punjab and Haryana High Court banned the construction activity, the amicus curiae in the case, advocate Tanu Bedi had questioned the casual approach of the UT Administration towards the lake and for failing to keep a check on the increasing rate of urbanisation in the catchment area. She had contended that if the urbanisation trend was not checked at this stage, the lake would die.

ਸੁਰਜੀਤ ਸਿੰਘ ਘੁੰਮਣ ਅਤੇ ਬਖਸ਼ੀਸ਼ ਸਿੰਘ ਸੋਢੀ ਨੂੰ ਮਹਾਰਾਣੀ ਵੱਲੋਂ ਐਮ. ਬੀ. ਈ. ਐਵਾਰਡ ਦੇਣ ਦਾ ਐਲਾਨ

2 ਜਨਵਰੀ ૿ ਪੰਜਾਬ ਰੇਡੀਓ ਲੰਡਨ ਦੇ ਮਾਲਕ ਸੁਰਜੀਤ ਸਿੰਘ ਘੁੰਮਣ ਅਤੇ ਬਖਸ਼ੀਸ਼ ਸਿੰਘ ਸੋਢੀ ਸੀਨੀਅਰ ਵਾਈਸ ਪ੍ਰਧਾਨ ਗੁਰੂ ਨਾਨਕ ਦਰਬਾਰ ਗ੍ਰੇਵਜ਼ੈਂਡ ਨੂੰ ਨਵੇਂ ਵਰ੍ਹੇ ਦੇ ਮੌਕੇ ਮਹਾਰਾਣੀ ਵੱਲੋਂ ਐਮ ਬੀ ਈ ਦੇ ਸਨਮਾਨ ਨਾਲ ਸਨਮਾਨਿਤ ਕਰਨ ਦਾ ਐਲਾਨ ਕੀਤਾ ਹੈ। ਇਹ ਸਨਮਾਨ ਮਹਾਰਾਣੀ ਐਲਜ਼ਿਬਿਥ 2 ਵੱਲੋਂ ਦਿੱਤਾ ਜਾਵੇਗਾ। ਸੁਰਜੀਤ ਸਿੰਘ ਘੁੰਮਣ ਨੂੰ ਇਹ ਸਨਮਾਨ ਪੰਜਾਬ ਰੇਡੀਓ ਰਾਹੀਂ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਰਣ ਦੀ ਦੁਨੀਆ ਵਿਚ ਨਿਭਾਏ ਰੋਲ ਪ੍ਰਤੀ ਦਿੱਤਾ ਜਾ ਰਿਹਾ ਹੈ। ਪਿੰਡ ਘੁੰਮਣਾਂ ਦੇ ਜੰਮਪਲ ਸੁਰਜੀਤ ਸਿੰਘ ਨੂੰ 29 ਸਾਲਾਂ ਦੀ ਉਮਰ ਵਿਚ ਪਹਿਲਾ ਨੌਜਵਾਨ ਮੈਜਿਸਟਰੇਟ ਬਣਨ ਦਾ ਮਾਣ ਵੀ ਹਾਸਿਲ ਹੈ, ਜਦ ਕਿ ਸ: ਬਖਸ਼ੀਸ਼ ਸਿੰਘ ਸੋਢੀ ਨੂੰ ਇਹ ਸਨਮਾਨ ਸਮਾਜ ਪ੍ਰਤੀ ਨਿਭਾਈਆਂ ਸੇਵਾਵਾਂ ਬਦਲੇ ਦਿੱਤਾ ਗਿਆ ਹੈ। 40 ਸਾਲਾਂ ਤੋਂ ਗਰੇਵਜ਼ੈਂਡ ਵਿਖੇ ਰਹਿਣ ਵਾਲੇ ਸ: ਸੋਢੀ ਨੇ ਜਿੱਥੇ ਨਵੇਂ ਗੁਰੂ ਘਰ ਦੀ ਉਸਾਰੀ ਵਿਚ ਅਹਿਮ ਰੋਲ ਨਿਭਾਇਆ, ਉਥੇ ਗੁਰੂ ਨਾਨਕ ਸਪੋਰਟਸ ਕਲੱਬ, ਏਸ਼ੀਅਨ ਵੈਲਫੇਅਰ ਸੁਸਾਇਟੀ, ਸਿੱਖ ਹੈਰੀਟੇਜ਼ ਟਰਾਇਲ ਸੰਸਥਾਵਾਂ ਲਈ ਸੇਵਾਵਾਂ ਦੇਣ ਦੇ ਨਾਲ-ਨਾਲ ਗ੍ਰੇਵਜ਼ੈਂਡ ਦੀ ਕੌਂਸਲ ਵਿਚ ਵੱਖ-ਵੱਖ ਭਾਈਚਾਰਿਆਂ ਵਿਚ ਆਪਸੀ ਸਾਂਝ ਵਧਾਉਣ ਲਈ ਵੀ ਸਨਮਾਨ ਹਾਸਿਲ ਕਰ ਚੁੱਕੇ ਹਨ।

Russian’s arrest snowballs into diplomatic row

Chandigarh, January 4
Russian photojournalist Olga Timoshik's arrest by the Punjab Police has snowballed into a diplomatic row. Moscow has for the third time lodged a protest over her arrest "without any evidence."
In fact, the Embassy of Russian Federation has sent its third note of protest on her arrest to the Ministry of External Affairs.
In a communication dated December 28 last, the Embassy has drawn once again the ministry's attention to the criminal case against Timoshik, a professional photographer and journalist, who helped organise numerous exhibitions on Indian culture.
The letter says: "The Embassy regrets to point out that more than a year-and- half after her arrest, there still has not been even a single hearing of the merits of her case". It also says: "This inordinate delay caused constant mental stress followed by severe health deterioration of Timoshik. At present, she is completely exhausted physically and mentally suffering from constant mental anguish and deep depression and asthmatic attacks…."
"The Embassy regrets to reiterate that the failure of the police to provide evidence of Timoshik's criminal activities and continuous hoaxing discrediting honour, dignity and reputation of Timoshik are detrimental to India's image as a friendly nation in the eyes of the Russian public at large".
Referring to Olga's petition filed by counsel SS Behl before the Punjab and Haryana High Court, the letter says the Embassy requests the ministry to bend every effort through the concerned authorities to ensure fast response from the prosecution side by the next date of hearing.
Olga was arrested by the police and allegedly subjected to third degree interrogation for 10 days during her police remand. The cops also allegedly launched a ‘character assassination campaign’ in newspapers and ‘publicised’ the ‘confidential details of her private life’.
The startling claims made by the Russian were made in the petition before Justice Alok Singh for the quashing of the FIR registered under the provisions of the Foreigners Act on May 25 last year at Nangal police station in Ropar.
Appointment of info commissioners
The Punjab and Haryana High Court today directed the Punjab Secretary, Department of Information and Technology, to be present on Monday to answer the queries on procedure adopted for appointment of two State Information Commissioners — Chander Parkash and Bidhi Chand. The directions came on a PIL filed by advocate HC Arora. 

January 2, 2012

MENACE OF PAID NEWS


Formation of media panels hangs fire
Nainital, January 2
Despite stringent measures ordered by the Election Commission of India (ECI) to tackle the menace of paid news after the implementation of the Model Code of Conduct, the constitution of the Media Certification and Monitoring Committees (MCMCs) is yet to take off. Meanwhile, media organisations across the state are learnt to be devising ways and techniques to increase their “election revenue”.
Sources in the government say that there are some roadblocks emerging with regards to the constitution of the MCMCs. While there is no doubt that the two members of the committees will be the Deputy District
Election Officers, problems are being encountered with regards to the other two members.
One of the members has to come from the Information and Broadcasting Ministry. Sources say that while the orders have been sent across to the departments under the Information and Broadcasting Ministry like the song and drama division, most of the officials are busy holding voter awareness campaigns and other such works. However, they say that this will be resolved in a day or so.
The maximum confusion is prevailing with regards to the fourth member which is to be an independent person or journalist nominated by the Press Council of India (PCI). The officials say that they are unclear when such persons will be nominated and notified.
The sources further said the job for recording and monitoring of news being run in the electronic medium and print medium was being outsourced to credible agencies.
Meanwhile, sources within the media industry pointed out that ever since the Model Code of Conduct was implemented, several television channels had managed to hoodwink the authorities on the issue of paid news.
The sources said money had been changing hands for repeatedly running one to one interviews with politicians who had either been declared as candidates or were in the line for getting the party ticket.
The sources further said the marketing professionals had already been given huge targets to meet during the poll campaign.
The Joint Chief Election Officer for the state Saujanya had said here a week back that this time the commission’s own teams would be monitoring the expenses incurred instead of the earlier practice of relying only on the declarations made by the candidates.
She had also asserted that stringent measures would be taken to check the menace of paid news.

ND Tiwari floats Nirantar Vikas Samiti


Body to fight Vidhan Sabha elections

Dehradun, January 2
Veteran Congress leader and former Uttarakhand Chief Minister ND Tiwari, who had been sidelined by the party following a sex scandal in Hyderabad Raj Bhawan, has created a stir in the party circles by announcing the formation of a society that will contest all 70 Assembly seats in the state.
Tiwari is the patron of the Nirantar Vikas Samiti and his private secretary Sanjay Joshi is the general secretary of the organisation. The move is seen as part of the strategy by Tiwari to pressurise the Congress high command to accommodate his favourites on the list of Congress candidates.
Tiwari has been trying hard to get party nomination for his former private secretary Aryaendra Sharma from the Sahaspur Assembly segment in Dehradun district and his own nephew Manish Tiwari from the Khatima Assembly segment in Udham Singh Nagar district.
Interacting with the media at his residence, Tiwari declined forming any political party but hosted a meeting of the Nirantar Vikas Samiti at his residence here today.
The development happens at a crucial time for the Congress when its screening committee is busy finalising the name of party candidates in New Delhi.
“I am not floating any political party. I have no wish to contest as I am 87,” Tiwari told mediapersons.
Nirantar Vikas Samiti spokesperson Bharat Sharma said, “We have received 350 applications. The Nirantar Vikas Samiti will be fielding selected persons as independent candidates. Many BJP and Congress leaders are in contact with the NVS. The samiti will be forming a national council of independent candidates and will also contest the UP Assembly poll. ND Tiwari will be the guiding force of the organisation”.
The development is viewed as a last-ditch effort by Tiwari to convey to the party high command that he is still around and cannot be ignored. Tiwari has his area of influence in the Nainital and Terai regions of Kumaon, his native place.
His supporters had also erected his posters and banners in the town but were quickly removed. 

Mussoorie, January 2
If the weather remained inclement on January 30, election booths in far-flung areas in the hill districts of Tehri and Mussoorie may witness a low turnout of voters.
Many booths in both districts are approachable only by foot. In Tehri district, the election booth at Junior High School, Bhavna Kyara village, is too far that voters will have to walk several kilometres to caste their vote.
More than five booths in the Narendar Nagar Assembly segment are situated at a distance of 20 km from the main road. The Gangi booth in Ghansali is 22 km away while the Pasni booth in the Dhanaulti Assembly segment is 18 km from the main road.
In the Mussoorie Assembly segment, voters will have to walk several kilometres to reach the election booths at Hathipaon, Chaskhet, Bulhat and Chamasari, which is difficult in inclement weather.
However, political parties have heaved a sigh of relief with the Election Commission giving them an assurance that the elections could be rescheduled in the booths that would be affected by heavy snowfall.